About Me

My photo
Hello my name is Donna. Thanks for visiting. I live in an Edwardian house in inner city Manchester, I love Baking, car booting, hunting around charity shops, and crafting.I work full time.I have two grown up children. And lots of spare time. This blog is my online diary where I can and do ramble on about my everyday life.

Thursday 8 March 2018

Beef Stifado

I made a Beef Stifado in the slow cooker yesterday and it really didn't disappoint.

We love Stifado. We have had it all Greece, some parts of Greece use Rabbit I won't eat Rabbit but Geoff will have it and he says its just as nice.

Just when I added the shallots

Ready to eat. 



This is the recipe I use.


Ingredients

For the marinade:
  • 2-3 sprigs rosemary
  • 2-3 bay leaves
  • 2tsps dried or 2 tbsps freshly chopped oregano
  • 125ml red wine
  • 2tbsps red wine vinegar
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
  • 3-4 cloves
  • 1-2 cinnamon sticks, broken into large pieces
For the beef:
  • 750g-1kg  diced beef
  • 6tbsps light olive oil
  • 500g shallots or small onions, peeled
  • 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • 2tbsps tomato purée
  • 1 beef stock cube
  • Orzo pasta, to serve
  • Oregano leaves, for garnish
When searing meat, don't turn it too much as that reduces the temperature of the pan. Allow one surface to brown, then turn, until seared all over.

Method

  1. Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade, then stir in the beef, cover the bowl and leave in the fridge for a few hours or, preferably, overnight.
  2. Set the oven to 180°C/356°F/Gas Mark 4. Heat 2 tbsps of olive oil in a large pan and cook the shallots, or small onions, for 7-10 mins, until they start to turn golden, then remove them from the pan and set aside. Drain the beef as well as possible, reserving the marinade juices.
  3. Heat 2 more tbsps of oil and cook half the drained beef until it's seared on all sides and starting to turn brown, then transfer it to a casserole dish. Heat the remaining oil, cook the rest of the beef and add to the casserole.
  4. Pour the marinade into the pan and add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, the stock cube and 100ml water. Bring the mixture to the boil, then pour it into the casserole over the beef. Season. Cover the dish and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
  5. Add the shallots or onions to the casserole, re-cover and cook for a further hour, or until the meat is tender. Serve with orzo, garnished with oregano leaves.

1 comment:

Carole said...

What a lovely beef dish. I'd be honoured if you would share this with everyone over at Food on Friday: March. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews