About Me

My photo
Hello my name is Donna. Thanks for visiting. I live in an Edwardian house in inner city Manchester, I love Baking, car booting, hunting around charity shops, and crafting.I work full time.I have two grown up children. And lots of spare time. This blog is my online diary where I can and do ramble on about my everyday life.

Sunday 30 December 2012

Rhubarb Wine Champagne

Rhubarb Wine  Champagne

I am going to try my hand at wine making this year. And apparently this is simple to make.


First wine of this year for me is rhubarb, as soon as there is  plentiful supply of the stuff and many people have a glut.
I'll update this post as I proceed with my less than technical approach to frugal winemaking. I prefer the champagne-type sparkling fizz to the sweet or the dry, so mine doubles up as a refreshing drink for summer picnics and celebratory cheer for special occasions. Like Christmas or New Year.

 
http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/_797628/090610WineA.jpg
  http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/797629/090610WineB.jpg



http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/797631/090610WineD.jpg

SPARKLING RHUBARB WINE

1kg chopped rhubarb
1kg white sugar
1/2 cup vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
1 sliced lemon
5 litres boiling water

Thoroughly clean and sterilise your bucket. Pour in the boiling water, lemons and sugar, stir to dissolve. Add the chopped rhubarb  top it, tail it and wash it, I don't peel it.

Stir the contents of the bucket, cover and leave to stand in a cool, dark place.

 Give the contents a stir every day for about 5 days, then strain off all the fruit through muslin or fine net before bottling in glass bottles with secure caps.

This wine does get a champagne like fizz. Best to check the bottles and caps frequently. The wine is ready for drinking within a couple of weeks of bottling but if you  prefer leave it  a bit longer than that. If storing it for longer, don't forget to check the bottles & caps every so often. I wonder if you could use Frozen or tinned rhubarb?.

3 comments:

amyrdh said...

Found you over at Sew Many Ways. Love your blog and will add you to my favorites. (Had to look up what car booting was- I love to do that too!)

Donna said...

Oh Thanks, had a quick look at your blog, I will have a good look later when I have some time. I would love to quilt like you they are lovely.

andrea said...

i have made some rhubarb wine on thursday - no sign of fermentation yet. i notice no yeast -0 should i have put some in? advice please!!

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews